Historic Tower Park
In 1975, the Waldo Water Tower located in Tower Park at 75th and Holmes, was designated Missouri’s first American Water Landmark. It’s on the National Historic Register of Historic Places.
The water tower was retired in 1957, but in it’s day, it achieved acclaim. A picture of the tower appeared in the World Book Encyclopedia each year from 1929 through 1946 as an early example of reinforced concrete construction.
The 13-story tower, which stands 134 feet tall, had a one-million-gallon capacity. Built from 1919-1920, it was plagued by construction delays resulting from bad weather, labor problems and slow delivery of materials. After construction began, however, it proceeded quickly. Crews working around the clock poured the 12-sided base in two days, the wall in 14.